Monday, May 31, 2010

Day 296 - Memorial Day and Spicy Rubs

May 31st, 2010

While avoiding writing today's blog entry, I was perusing Facebook only to find the majority of my virtual community posting status updates that read, Happy Memorial Day. Exclamation Point.

I have mixed feelings about revealing the following. But I will. Sigh...

1) I was not 100% certain as to the exact meaning of Memorial Day. Until last night.
2) Last night, I was at a party at a friend of a friend's apartment above a funeral parlor.
3) At the funeral parlor soiree, last night, a guy explained to me the details of this Memorial Day. He was Israeli.

I shall share my learnings:

You: Jax, tell me, what exactly is Memorial Day?

Me: Well You, Memorial Day, previously designated Decoration Day, is a Federal holiday that was inaugurated in 1868 by General John A. Logan for the purpose of decorating the graves of Civil War veterans. Over time, of course, the observance incorporated the dead of both sides, renamed Memorial Day and encompassed all of this country's fallen in subsequent wars.

You: Thanks Jax. You really taught me a lot. But tell me about this General John A. Logan. Sounds familiar...but I missed a lot of my American History class in high school because I was getting high behind a shed in the teacher's parking lot.

Me: Who wasn't? John Alexander Logan had an impressive resume that would be sure to make him employable even in today's struggling economy: American soldier, political leader, served in the Mexican-American War, General in the Union Army in the American Civil War, served as the state of Illinois as a Senator, candidate for Vice President of the United States and proficient in Microsoft Office. Logan is one of only three individuals mentioned by name in the Illinois state song:

"On the record of thy years,
Abraham Lincoln's name appears,
Grant and Logan, and our tears,
Illinois, Illinois,
Grant and Logan, and our tears,
Illinois."

You: Jax, you have a lovely falsetto. So, what should I do today, Memorial Day?

Me: Good question, You. Many people observe this holiday by visiting cemeteries, memorials or flying the flag of the United States at half-staff. You can also commemorate by having a BBQ and reflect on the fallen by preparing meat with a marinade, basting sauce, or if you're feeling particularly patriotic, a spicy rub. .

You: Mmmm...I love rubs. Thanks Jax. You are so wise and awesome. I look forward to when you explain the real meaning behind Bring Your Daughter to Work Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment