Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 295 - Sleep Singer? Guilty as Charged

May 30th, 2010

I received an interesting piece of information this morning. According to my boyfriend, I was...oh you'll like this one... singing in my sleep. Joyfully.

This was actually pleasant news because I expected my thoughts (or songs) during my state of suspended sensory and motor activity would lead towards my darker subconscious memories or thought processes that I choose(by choice or involuntarily) not to promote during my waking hours. According to the guy, my melodic tones were rather jubilant, delightful and dare I say, whimsical.

I never understood the mass appeal of the show "Glee"...but maybe in my sleep...I do. Note to self.

Since I became cognizant that I was a slumber singer, I've been humming the Romantics' 1983 sensation, "Talking in Your Sleep". I'm now convinced that the range of sleep vocalization is far and wide and this billboard hit need be subject to a much deeper interpretation.

Let's dissect. Shall we?

"Talking in Your Sleep" - The Romantics

When you close your eyes and go to sleep
- Because you're drunk on well liquored Appletinis.
And it's down to the sound of a heartbeat
- A whale's heartbeat from the sleep sound machine that you bought on QVC for $59.95. $300 in shipping.
I can hear the things that you're dreaming about
- Animated kittens. And gourd vegetables. Really?
When you open up your heart and the truth comes out
- You spent your formative years being raised by orangutans. I didn't see that coming.


CHORUS:
You tell me that you want me
- And you want my douche investment banker friend, Brad
You tell me that you need me
- And you need Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? So you are down with the brown. Interesting.
You tell me that you love me
- You love my giant...W-2's.
And I know that I'm right
- Because I'm Type A and always right.
Cuz I hear it in the night
- Told by M. Night Shyamalan
I hear the secrets that you keep
- You can't fool me by talking in Dutch
When you're talking in your sleep
- I bring in a translator, Mbwana, when you break into Swahili


When I hold you in my arms at night
-Yes, I hold you in my prosthetic arms. I imagine that must be creepy for you. Freak mechanical bull accident.
Don't you know you're sleeping in a spotlight
- Literally...a spotlight. My friend is the lighting guy from "The Lion King". He hooks me up
And all your dreams that you keep inside
- He also is my go to when I need giant puppets and 7 minutes in heaven with Elton John.
You're telling me the secrets that you just can't hide
- Baby, tell me anything in your sleep. It's cool because it makes me less self conscious should I reveal that I lie about recycling.


REPEAT CHORUS

'Night night

No comments:

Post a Comment