Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 350 - Laziness is Really Just Special Me Time

July 24th, 2010

"Only in laziness can one achieve a state of contemplation which is a balancing of values, a weighing of oneself against the world, and the world against itself." - Jon Steinbeck

The Nobel Prize recipient and author of "The Grapes of Wrath" and "Of Mice and Men" wasn't alone when voicing the merits of being lazy.

Comedian Mitch Hedberg said, “Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load his shit into a truck” , the band, The Offspring sang "Why Don't You Get a Job?" and Forrest Gump told us,"Lazy is as lazy does"(or something along those lines.)

Novels have even been written on the disinclination to activity and exertion( interesting that novelists would be experts on laziness...):

- "In Praise of Slowness : Challenging the Cult of Speed."
- "The Right to Be Lazy".
- "Hello Laziness! - Why Hard Work Doesn't Pay"
- "Bonjour Laziness! - How to Work as Little as Possible (Just Like the French)"
- "In Praise of Idleness"
- "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly, Said the Sloth."

I'm fleshing out some of my own book titles should I peruse the Barnes and Noble Lazy section(if I were lazy, I'd peruse online from my bed...or just not attend to the strenuous task at all should it interfere with my nap time from noon to 5:00PM):

Some of my titles:

- "Laziness is Really Just Special Me Time"
- "No Time to Save the World when You have High Thread Count Bedding"
- "Even Smoking Pot is a Chore"

I generally don't seek advice from Christian moral tradition...but they do preach some heavy shit on the topic of sloth, one of the seven deadly sins. According to this monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus Harold Christ, being lazy is a capital sin because it destroys the charity in a man's heart and thus may lead to eternal death.

I can see the destroy the charitable heart part..but eternal death...seems improbable. Why? Read My novel, "When You're Too Lazy to Die".

No comments:

Post a Comment