Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 60 - "Makin' Whoopee!"

October 7th, 2009

We're gonna talk “whoopee” today. And not as in Goldberg. She sucks.

I would imagine that most of you recall The Newlywed Game's questions that dealt with "making whoopee", the euphemism used for "The Sex" in order to get around network censors.

In a classic episode, the following occurred:

Host Bob Eubanks: Where was the strangest place you've ever made whoopee?
Very Candid Male Contestant: That'd be the butt, Bob.

"Makin' Whoopee!" is also a jazz/blues song, first popularized in the 1928 musical “Whoopee”. If I were alive then, I am pretty certain that I would not have seen this show because I steer clear of productions with exclamations marks in the title. I did learn that the “Whoopee” song is a dire warning, largely to the male species, about the "trap" of marriage. I miss good 'ol early 20th Century sexism. Interesting note, it’s generally safe to assume that homosexual theater types were doing most of the singing and this was clearly before there was any legalization of gay marriage in any state. Continuity and theater seldom go hand in hand. On an unrelated side note: Two notable happenings in 1928: Penicillin was invented and English hairdresser, Vidal Sassoon was born. Thank you Vidal.

It seems to be proving advantageous for me to throw some questions out to the
audience pre-blog. It’s the improviser in me. So I asked : “Where's
the craziest place you've made whoopee?

In the armpit..
- Ed Blank

On a roof...and in a tree house
-Michelle Kojen

Greensboro, NC
- Rosanne Garfield Nelson

In the parking lot at Target. And I was not alone... :)
- Dan Verkman

In a vagina
- Philip Schnell

One of Urban Dictionary’s definitions for whoopee is - “Old person word for sex”. I feel their example of this word’s usage might be one of the best examples that I have EVER heard. And I am an example snob.

Old Man: Hey Margaret, wanna go make some whoopee?
Margaret: O yes Cletus

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Our mutual friend, Emily Fitch (ah the Greensboro days...) suggested I check out your blog as I would like the humor, and she was right - great stuff! (confetti release, applause)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jarod...and welcome. I love confetti, applause and Emily Fitch!

    ReplyDelete