Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 299 - Geriatric Crush

June 3rd, 2010

We're down to Betty White, the last surviving Golden Girl. Rue McClanahan has just joined Bea Arthur and Estelle Getty at the Del Boca Vista retirement community in the sky.

Whenever anyone asks me who my female comedy heroes are, my go to answers are Carol Burnett and Tracey Ullman. However, it's occurred to me (rather recently) that the Girls who are Golden somehow did invade my subconscious comedic wiring (presumably from watching the show during my awkwardly formative preteen years.) I take pause that I was magnetically drawn to a show with a premise of four aging women living together in Miami...and the shenanigans that ensue. But I got hooked and never have given proper reflection as to why this sitcom successfully captured the attention of a very short attention spanned prepubescent.

Here's why I found "The Golden Girls" to be solid. Much like a rock.

- The four leads were true pros and beloved despite an industry that is most unforgiving towards aging females.

- "The Golden Girls" became only the second TV show -- after "All in the Family" --to have an entirely Emmy-winning cast. Three words: No weak link. Three more words: A true ensemble.

- It takes remarkably strong writing and perfect delivery to warrant an audible laughter from me. I adhere to one day being able to create the following verbiage. It's just.....too good:

Blanche: You know what the worst part about getting older is?
Dorothy: Your face, Rose's hands?

Blanche: I treat my body like a temple.
Sophia: Yeah, open to everyone, day or night.

Sophia: You're Blanche's daughter, the model?
Rebecca: That's right.
Sophia: What did she model - car covers?

Sophia: Rose, just remember, you're smarter than people say you are. You've got good sense, and you know what you're doing.
Rose: Oh, Sophia.
Sophia: Blanche, you're a slut.
Blanche: Oh, Sophia.

Rose: The laws in St. Olaf are very stringent. Their motto is 'Use a gun, go apologize.'

Rose: Can I ask a dumb question?
Dorothy: Better than anyone I know.

Goodbye masterful women of the one liners. My comedic flag is raised at half staff as I seek solace in knowing Betty White is still sharing her brilliance. I can't say anything that hasn't been gushed about this legend in the last few years....except that I have a crush on her. That's right. I have a geriatric girl crush on Betty White.

No comments:

Post a Comment