Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Day 129 – Nothing Says ‘I Love You’ Like a Mix Tape

December 15th, 2009

I asked you all the following: If the story of your life were set to music...what would be the song? I received so many responses that I was inspired to revisit my feeling around music’s powerful and compelling effect that reaches the widest scope of listeners.

Personally, I have the utmost respect for people with musical talent. Although I possess my own creative gifts, being musically inclined is not one of them. I’ve never quite bonded with instruments. I’ve tried. At four, I took violin lessons, at nine I dabbled with the piano and at twenty, I felt that my superb singer songwriter hair would lend itself well to the guitar. It did not. I can carry a tune well enough if need be. I took voice lessons for a year with an old Greek woman in an East Village basement. I left that experience with a tinge of singing ability, a clear reminder to breathe and a lot of information on what it was like when her husband left her for her best friend.

On Day 4, I wrote about my friend Marigrace Dineen. http://jacquelinekabat.blogspot.com/2009/08/day-4-marigrace.html. She is a kindred spirit friend who might be one of the most musically gifted people that I have ever met. I know a lot of people. Watching her with her crazy flaming red hair belt out guttural music is awe inspiring. Transcending almost. Her feeling is that she’s a vessel for something much bigger that is projecting through her. Either way, experiencing Marigrace and her talent makes me feel something. Music is a catalyst with the very real potential to even melt the hearts of those who appear cynical, simple or even evil.

Below, I have a list of tunes for few notable figures. Perhaps the following songs inspired, might inspire or should have inspired something within their souls that could alter or have altered a chain of events. Either way, I’m making mix tapes for these people. It’s a lost sentiment because nothing says, “Hey, I’m thinkin' of you. Here’s a mix tape.”

Matthew McConaughey - “We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off”, Jermaine Stewart

George W. Bush - "I'm Just a Bill”, Schoolhouse Rock

Ben Stein - “Magnum P.I. Theme Song”

Oprah - “Everybody Wants to Rule the World”, Tears for Fears

Tiger Woods - “It Won't Mean a Thing in a Hundred Years”, Blues Traveler

Someone’s Dad - “I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus”

Hitler - “Bad”, Michael Jackson

Ass men – “Legs”, ZZ Top

All the celebrities that died in the summer of 2009 - “Another One Bites the Dust”, Queen

Mrs. Roboto - “Mr. Roboto”, Styx

No comments:

Post a Comment