Sunday, November 1, 2009

Day 85 - Run Like the Wind. If Anything Gets in Your Way…Move

November 1st, 2009

It really was a bold choice to have the New York City Marathon today, November 1st, 2009. First, it’s the day after that holiday where adults dress up like sluts, zombies or nothing(which I refer to as douches texting.) On top of this pertinent celebratory event, last night was daylights savings time. These are two major obstacles that could have obliterated the flow of all things working according to plan. Well, from my mild hung over observation as I cheered on a friend on 4th avenue in Brooklyn, perseverance prevailed and spectators and runners seemed to take their appropriate positions at the appropriate times for one of the world’s largest annual marathons. Good hustle ya’ll!

New Yorkers abide by the work hard and play even harder philosophy. I am absolutely certain many participants didn’t eliminate Halloween shindigs to prepare for the ginormous challenge. In fact, they probably beat their goal time(kind of like the druggy in high school who would pull an all-nighter filled with hallucinogenics and “Beavis and Butt-head” repeats..and still ace the SAT’s the next day.)

I ran the San Diego marathon in 2005. No, I am not a marathoner. There will be only one. I just wanted to add running 26.2 miles to my list of “I really should do this before I expire" list. Also included in this list:

-Win a Competitive Napping contest. And go to State
-Tell someone eating Beef Jerky, “You know..it’s really just a dog treat for humans.”
-Chest bump and elderly person

In fact, I’m kind of surprised that I can check “running a marathon” off the list before I have accomplished the above. Seriously, a long-distance foot race is without a doubt one of the hardest most confident building tasks that I have ever intentionally willed on myself.…and I try to be funny..on stage…by myself…in front of strangers. If you’re looking to stretch yourself, I encourage you to step up to the plate and train for this endeavor. Once you can get through four miles, you’re pretty much over the hump. I mean it. It might just change your life. Hold back the tears.

Although I can barley run to the end of my block these days, I know that I could complete another marathon in four months if I committed to it. Will I? Hell no..although I’m a huge fan of an excess of Gatorade and carbohydrates. I do want to congratulate anyone who has ever checked off finishing the long run on their life goal’s list. We’re members of a special club that might just be similar to an underground Ivy League's secret society..just with less power driven elitist murders.

No comments:

Post a Comment