Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 32 - Shiny Happy People Holding Hands

September 9th, 2009

ARE ALL COMEDIANS DEPRESSED?
Oh you precious blog reader, I am here to tell you that we are all not depressed. Sure, some comics suffer from a debilitating anxiety that includes rage, self loathing and horrible horrible shame. But depressed? Not so much.

I’m here to firmly declare that I am not depressed or bitter. Not at all. I use comedy to transmute what is stirring inside my head into something tangible. It’s cathartic for me and hopefully for the people that are paying to see me. If I hit the stage feeling below an adequate standard then my audience will undoubtedly pick up on that negativity. My intention is to add a little light and joy to those who are willing to watch me chat for 6-10 minutes. Amazing phenomenon..right? Positive energy is contagious and that’s what I want to put out there. Hopefully I'm succeeding. Comedy can tap into themes that collectively make ALL of us feel angry or ill at ease. We “amusers” have the unique ability and opportunity to address these ironic universal stress ridden truths HEAD ON and pop the tension filled balloon. It’s like a good massage that allows us to breathe again. Some people call this release laughter. Jon Stewart is a genius at this.

It is fascinating who the frequent askers of “Are all comedians are “depressed?” are. I received the obligatory question when I was visiting a friend and her family in Long Island. Ironic because I find it hard to believe that she's in high spirits when her husband is fucking around on her ( I know this because he’s hit on me,) she’s addicted to Quaaludes and butter and they say their son has ADD…but no, Timmy’s just an Asshole.

That’s depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment