Monday, August 2, 2010

Day 359 - Strong. Like El Guapo

August 3rd, 2010

I have to give myself an internal high five.

No. Not because today's horoscope praised my awesomeness.
Not because I'm having an exceptional hair day.
Not because the chef at my neighborhood cafe just gave me a free salad for being nice.

Although the above triumphs are worthy of the the gesture of the upraised arm/slap combo signifying elation and victory, I've metaphorically been observing myself as of late and have taken notice that I feel strong. Emotionally. I don't feel immune to adversity, but I am noticing that I'm coping better and recovering more hastily from strenuous conditions.

I credit this to a supportive and positive network of friends, family and cooks who provide me free ruffage. Perhaps even having only 6 days left in this 365 day blog entry challenge has contributed to my sense of self worth, perseverance capabilities and my ability to follow through. By focusing on the things that I can control, I am seeing progress in my life and no one, thing or zombie can crush my spirit and take that away for me.

Good news to those who feel like the world is pillaging against them with a pitchfork... strength is a mindset that can resurface from the muck of powerlessness. Effective coping skills are at our fingertips. So often we forget. To heal, some turn to religion. To a facet of spirituality. To Oprah. Where you find comfort is a personal choice. Look for it. Remind yourself that it is possible to derive joy from the world around you.

Perhaps the following movie quotes will assist you in taking the first step to an upward spiral.

- In "Animal House", John Belushi as John "Bluto" Blutarsky was a drunken degenerate in his seventh year of college and had a GPA of 0.0.

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

Bluto goes on to become a United States Senator.


- Steve Martin (as Lucky Day) inspires a shift of consciousness in " ¡Three Amigos!"

"For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us...El Guapo is a big dangerous guy who wants to kill us."

Along with Nederlander and Dusty Bottoms, Lucky Day rode off into the into the sunset. As a hero.


- And no person has taught us the possibility of overcoming hardship more than Mel Gibson as William Wallace in "Braveheart".

"Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

And Mel Gibson has the ability to spew hate about everyone. In one sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment