Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 23 - Dude Looks Like a Lady

August 31, 2009

I have an affinity for the men of good ‘ol manual labor. I’d buy the calendar. Years of being the recipient of some harmless whistles and shout outs”..in all reality, is a nice ego stroker. Once I got a “You look like you like to party.” And you know what? This one reflected for a minute..and realized that yes indeed, I did like to party. So perhaps Mr. Training to be a Welder knew me better than I knew myself. You can’t overlook these magical epiphanies. And just like the upcoming LOST series finale, all good things come to an end and I’m not deluded enough to assume such praise will go on forever. But for now, sure, bring it on.

But of course I have to dig deeper. What is the essence..the core of these heavy lifters? There is something to be said about putting myself in their shoes(or work boots contingent on the particular project.)

I can see the the appeal of venturing into the world of outdoor labor. Along with a paycheck, I’m guaranteed a built in strength enhancing workout and a rockin’ tan.

The possibility of working in this field is no dumber than my very first job in high school at “I Can’t Believe It’s Yogurt.” Quick side note: I did question if this severely processed high sodium dairy concoction really was yogurt. I was 15 and too young to have the sought after high powered job as “server.” So I was stuck in the back making waffle cones and cutting up Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

I hope for the following scenario to occur at some point in my lifetime:

You: Jacqueline, What do you do?

Jacqueline: Well (You), I work down at the docks.

I crave for the opportunity to verbally express that my income is based on my ability to operate a machine that lifts and moves cargo on and off ships. Bonus if I eat lunch out of a lunch box, (if I’m lucky) learn how to gut a fish and shoot the shit with a guy named Smitty

This certainly beats working indoor “cubicle labor” and reporting to some self righteous Ivy Leaguer who only hangs out in circles that consist of other rich white people. Although, I might have the unfortunate task of adding a reading room onto his 2nd home in Connecticut. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. Today’s blog is about the appeal of income generating physical work. We’ll gloss over a few things. Stay with me

I’ll speak frankly. It would without a doubt behoove me to be more proficient in having some ability to fix things. Jews are not known for two things:

1)Being particularly skilled in the art of all things handy
2)Offering to help a friend move

So I salute me for thinking outside the box about a career that involves moving boxes.

I dream that at some point in my life that I will have chills run up my spine when I hear you say:

“You know Jax, I doubted you at first, but I have to admit that the glow in the dark vest, hard hat and yelling obscenities at male passerbyers …well, it just really suits you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment