Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 22 - Nonchalant Observer -Installment # 1 Brooklyn Stoop

August 30th, 2009

I’m pretty certain that the charm and edge that once defined Greenwich Village has made a pilgrimage out to Brooklyn. I most definitely see it where I live in Cobble Hill. Located only a couple of subway stops from Manhattan, the hill that is cobble is filled with one-way streets, blue stone sidewalks and turn-of-the-century buildings. Many of the cafes and specialty stores seem to have a mom-and-pop feel that is so refreshing after witnessing the strip mall effect ripple through the city. Needless to say, I'm living in the right neighborhood for me.

This morning I woke up, took my coffee and notebook outside, sat on my stoop and nonchalantly observed all that crossed my path. I made detailed notes from 10:00am-11:00am on this Sunday August 30th, 2009. Prior to the play by play, I am going to go ahead bulk together what appeared in abundance:

• Jogger count - 12
• Biker count - 7
• Canine count - 6
• Walking while texting count - 4

The following is presented in “real” time:

10:01 – I see a young buff couple wearing matching jerseys. I fear that their entire relationship could be based on sports.

10:05 – Lincoln Town Car is struggling to parallel park and ultimately left in an awkward 45 degree angle. I’m about to judge and then I see an adorable elderly couple exit the vehicle. I let it go.

10:13 – Here is an African American man carrying a Met Grocery Store bag. He has a ponytail and wearing what appears to be 75 pounds of bling. I see that it consists of keys and hubcaps. I give him credit for combining decorative accessories with something practical .

10:17 – Young hippie couple saunters in my direction. The guy is wearing a shirt that says “LOVE.” Yet it appears as if they hate each other.

10:20 – A Subaru nearly hits Grandma and Grandpas’ poorly parked car. No contact. I’m relieved.

10:24 - A mommy is holding a little girl around 3ish. The toddler is holding a doll with a mangled arm and missing eye. It scares me. My mind wanders to one of the Twilight Zone's creepiest episodes, “Living Doll." “My name is Talky Tina, and I'm going to kill you."

10:26 – An Asian mother and two young children pass by holding books. I assume that they got them from a stoop sale down the block. I think of a literacy Public Service Announcement with a shooting star and/or rainbow that might go something like, “Because Reading is Believing.”

10:30 – I admire a cool bad ass mom with light pink blond hair with her two pretty preteen daughters. I imagine Amy Poehler in Mean Girls: "I'm not like a regular mom, I'm a cool mom.”

10:35 – My older Greek neighbor steps outside and just surveys the area with his arms crossed. I feel like I have bodyguard..and, I have to admit.. I like that. I feel safe.

10:40 – I see my neighborhood crush way in the distance walking his Wheaten Terrier. He intrigues me and we seem to cross paths more and more. I assume he’s a few years older than I am. Tall , tan, a touch of free spirit and a dog. Yummy. He waves. I blush.

10:43 – I sneeze and a teenager holding a pamphlet says “Bless You.” I wonder if she just came from Planned Parenthood.

10:46 – A mother is following a very fast walking 1 year old who appears to have just learned this skill 5 minutes ago. I’m thinking it takes a very special mom to encourage her newly walking baby to play in traffic. Good plan.

10:51 – A 30’s something woman with wet hair appears to be in a hurry and to have forgotten to put on a bra.

10:57 – Biracial gay couple is walking by with award winning posture and with a sense of urgency. I assume I’ll be friends with them soon.

11:00 - Observant tall blond with empty coffee cup and spiral notebook looks like she really has to pee. Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment